[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Fabian A. Scherschel fab at sixgun.org
Fri Dec 17 13:46:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor at redhat.com> wrote:

> My proposal is is straightforward:
>
>  Once you select a user and log in to GNOME, you get the GNOME default
>  background. All other artwork follows normal Fedora procedures.
>
> While there are some mockups about how we'd like GDM to look like to
> match the rest of GNOME 3 (See
>
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-design/plain/mockups/static/user-selector.png
> ) they aren't going to be implemented in this cycle, so there's already
> a visual transition between the login screen and the desktop.

Hey, Owen!

Don't get me wrong, I love Gnome Shell, Gnome 3 and all the fantastic stuff
you are doing! I mean this. But I can't support you in this. I really think
this step is a huge mistake and it helps neither Fedora nor Gnome. I wish I
could've been at the IRC meeting this week where this came up (there was
absolutely no way I could've attended this week) and I would've said the
same there.

I strongly believe distributions should be more than a collection of
packages. They need their own visual identity. I think while Canonical
pushes this way too far in one direction with Ubuntu, this move would push
it too far in the opposite direction. Red Hat obviously knows this since I
strongly believe there is no way they would give this up for RHEL. So why
should we for Fedora?

Anyway, this is all just personal opinion and I am in no position to decide
anything obviously. I just wanted to voice my concerns.

Fab