[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 15:48:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 10:26 +0100, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

> > Case in point: the GDM background would be the same as the GNOME
> > background or as the general-purpose background used by all the other
> > spins? Which one of the spins will have an inconsistent experience? The
> > same about the Plymouth colors. We are supposed to use *vertical
> > stripes* or not in GRUB, Anaconda, firstboot etc.? How about website
> > identity?
>
> I'm not against even making theme based on Gnome/KDE stripes - it should work
> for both Gnome 3 and other desktops and still retains our Identity. Gnome 3
> would have stripes based theme but with Fedora feel there - win and profit for
> both projects!
>
> Last time I proposed it, it wasn't accepted but still I think this can work. It
> could bring some "personality" to spins - to combine upstream themes with Fedora
> ones. But it involves much more work.

In some ways, using the stripes background as the main Fedora 15 theme
is attractive to me if the design team wanted to go that route. It gives
good consistency and maximum impact.

But it also seems a bit weird. If we're making Fedora 15 all stripey to
celebrate GNOME 3 being in Fedora 15, isn't it weird if you download the
XFCE or KDE spins and don't get GNOME 3 and still see all the stripes?

I'm also expecting it would make it much harder for me to make my case
for other distributions to also use the GNOME background as the default
background.

- Owen