[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 16:03:25 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 17, 2010 04:48:00 pm Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 10:26 +0100, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > > Case in point: the GDM background would be the same as the GNOME
> > > background or as the general-purpose background used by all the other
> > > spins? Which one of the spins will have an inconsistent experience? The
> > > same about the Plymouth colors. We are supposed to use *vertical
> > > stripes* or not in GRUB, Anaconda, firstboot etc.? How about website
> > > identity?
> >
> > I'm not against even making theme based on Gnome/KDE stripes - it should
> > work for both Gnome 3 and other desktops and still retains our Identity.
> > Gnome 3 would have stripes based theme but with Fedora feel there - win
> > and profit for both projects!
> >
> > Last time I proposed it, it wasn't accepted but still I think this can
> > work. It could bring some "personality" to spins - to combine upstream
> > themes with Fedora ones. But it involves much more work.
>
> In some ways, using the stripes background as the main Fedora 15 theme
> is attractive to me if the design team wanted to go that route. It gives
> good consistency and maximum impact.
>
> But it also seems a bit weird. If we're making Fedora 15 all stripey to
> celebrate GNOME 3 being in Fedora 15, isn't it weird if you download the
> XFCE or KDE spins and don't get GNOME 3 and still see all the stripes?
>
> I'm also expecting it would make it much harder for me to make my case
> for other distributions to also use the GNOME background as the default
> background.

Other distributions already are doing it this way for Plasma Desktop! Even one
based on stripes theme [1] - it does not work for us as logo is involved in
design. So it should be much more easier to convince them to do it than just
"throw away your brand/identity".

For more info, see [2], [3].

Quoting Pinoheiro - "We don't want to kill each of the distributions own
branding, we want to share, I would not slap a KDE logo on top of your
distribution logo, nothing like that.
What we are after is creating something that is recognizable across the room
something people can see as recognizable, a "hey that is pretty and I have seen
it some ware else". I would do my best to keep a strong visual connection to the
specific distro brand but in a way that one brand doesn't kill the other."

You can find it even in Design team mailing list archive.

Jaroslav

[1] http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2010/08/12/distribution-branding-and-
stripes/
[2] http://pinheiro-kde.blogspot.com/2009/06/sharing-brand.html