[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 17 16:12:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 11:01 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> If the team doing the default Fedora desktop switched and did a GNOME
> remix instead this cycle, who would do the default Fedora desktop?
> (I'm sure you'd be happy to switch the default to KDE for this cycle,
> but... ;-)
>
> And how would we distinguish between the two different downloads when
> presenting options to the user? We'd basically be offering the user the
> choice between two different almost identical things because we couldn't
> come to a decision.

Yeh unfortunately I kind of think such a spin would be hard to not dub
the "political mess spin" and would likely be an embarrassment for us as
a project :-/ I say this having worked with some of you on our new
website download pages. It would *not* be an easy job to come up with
the wording there.

> My suggestion to you guys if we go this route is really to keep the
> change as minimal as possible and proceed as normal with the other
> desktop backgrounds and the rest of the art.
>
> Obviously if the art team feels its a waste of time to do a set of art
> when the background image in that art set is only an optional choice
> within GNOME then something else will have to be figured out, but it
> seems that there still is a lot of exposure to the art set elsewhere and
> on other desktops.

It is also worth pointing out that our design will be visible in the
default download behind GDM so it will get exposure in the default
download besides syslinux / grub / anaconda / firstboot... Syslinux in
F15 btw is going to look a LOT nicer :) I've been poking at it a bit
http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/fedora-installation-user-experience-improvements-syslinux/