[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Fabian A. Scherschel fab at sixgun.org
Fri Dec 17 22:42:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>wrote:

> I just read the post here by Owen and it specifically says "request."
> Anything else is reportage or inference.

Is it? I wasn't attending the meeting but it really looks like it is being
pushed through to me. I mean, honestly, who on the Design Team would be in
favour of this and why? I strongly urge those who are to speak out. I am not
saying this is a conspiracy, all I am saying is that it's against how I
understood we've done things in the past and it takes away a big hallmark of
the Design Team work for a reason that surely don't benefits the team
members as design contributers.

> It's precisely because Owen understands the visibility of the
> wallpaper that he went to great length to explain the nature of his
> request.  So it's unfair to say anyone's not sensitive to that,
> because that seems to me to be the entire reason the request was made.
> I'd hope we're not becoming a team or project that has no ability to
> constructively address requests or find ways to promote great free
> software.

Maybe we as the Design Team should vote publicly on the request then.

> Check out Owen's request again to see if it helps clarify this.  He
> indicated this is a one-time branding opportunity to help GNOME 3 with
> marketing their release, and specifically set out reasons for the
> request.

How exactly is it that they need marketing? They will be the default in
Fedora and the official future of the Gnome project. I can see how Unity
needs branding and a marketing boost, but that's because they aren't the
official upstream shell. Did people need to explicitely advertise Nautilus
when Gnome 2 came out?

> I'm not trying to appease anyone, I'm simply saying why I personally
> feel this could be a worthwhile one-time concession.  Agree or
> disagree, but it's not necessary to attach conspiracy theories.  I
> found out at the same time you did (well, later really, since I came
> into the discussion late, not being at the meeting, for which I
> apologize!).

Sorry, I really didn't want to make it sound like a conspiracy. It's just
that they way Mo talked about this special request looked a bit odd in the
IRC logs. Once again, I am sorry I couldn't be there and ask the questions
in person at the time.

> And personally I think creating wallpaper is not the biggest
> responsibility for the Design team.  It may be one of the most widely
> visible ones, but it's not the most important IMHO.  I think the most
> important responsibility of the team is handling the many requests for
> design from the community that come up regularly, both connected to
> releases and for completely ad-hoc tasks.  Those requests help Fedora
> contributors have amazing presence at shows, create cool displays,
> attract people to the project, and so forth.  Wallpaper is part of
> that responsibility, traditionally, but I don't think it's the
> overwhelming majority.

OK, we definitely have a different view of the team then. Maybe it is
because I haven't been on board that long. All I know is that people outside
Fedora think that's what we are doing... May be a communication / PR issue
then.

Fab