[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 17 23:11:17 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-17 11:03:39 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> If we as a team choose to consider Owen's request, there won't be brand
> confusion between Fedora and GNOME - the Fedora brand will be strong
> from the website / DVD sleeve through the install and bootup process
> (Fedora splash graphics for the installer & firstboot, syslinux &
> grub... Fedora logo for plymouth) and when it gets to the desktop part
> it'll be neutral... not GNOME. Although I'm think the default webpage in
> the browser will be a Fedora start page too, so Fedora branding doesn't
> quite end at the desktop.
I don't think there will necessarily be brand confusion, but I do think
that our brand would be slightly weakened if this proposal passes.  One
of the reasons that I always stick with the default wallpaper (aside
from how great it looks) is so that anybody who even gets a glance of my
screen can tell that I'm running Fedora, and maybe even strike up a
conversation about it :-).  While all of the other branding is still
very important, the wallpaper is really the only piece that will be seen
by other people, and I don't want to lose that by default.

Thanks,
Ricky