[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 23:53:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 18:11 -0500, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> On 2010-12-17 11:03:39 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > If we as a team choose to consider Owen's request, there won't be brand
> > confusion between Fedora and GNOME - the Fedora brand will be strong
> > from the website / DVD sleeve through the install and bootup process
> > (Fedora splash graphics for the installer & firstboot, syslinux &
> > grub... Fedora logo for plymouth) and when it gets to the desktop part
> > it'll be neutral... not GNOME. Although I'm think the default webpage in
> > the browser will be a Fedora start page too, so Fedora branding doesn't
> > quite end at the desktop.
> I don't think there will necessarily be brand confusion, but I do think
> that our brand would be slightly weakened if this proposal passes.  One
> of the reasons that I always stick with the default wallpaper (aside
> from how great it looks) is so that anybody who even gets a glance of my
> screen can tell that I'm running Fedora, and maybe even strike up a
> conversation about it :-).  While all of the other branding is still
> very important, the wallpaper is really the only piece that will be seen
> by other people, and I don't want to lose that by default.

If our proposal is accepted, you'll definitely have the option of
switching to the Fedora wallpaper with 3 clicks of the mouse.

I think it also will be very clear to anybody looking at your Fedora 15
desktop, whatever the wallpaper, that:

 - It's not Windows 7
 - It's not OS X Snow Leopard
 - It's not Ubuntu Unity

Do most of your conversations really center on why Fedora is better
than, say, Debian?

- Owen