[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Sat Dec 18 01:28:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 23:42 +0100, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:

> Maybe we as the Design Team should vote publicly on the request then.

That's certainly one approach we could take.

> How exactly is it that they need marketing? They will be the default
> in Fedora and the official future of the Gnome project. I can see how
> Unity needs branding and a marketing boost, but that's because they
> aren't the official upstream shell. Did people need to explicitely
> advertise Nautilus when Gnome 2 came out?

Nautilus and GNOME are not at the same level. GNOME 2 came out in 2002.
It will be out in 2011. That's a big deal. The Linux and even computing
in general environment is drastically different than it was in 2002.
This is not the year of Linux on the desktop. It may never be if we
don't try to reach a wider audience. This is what the GNOME 3 folks are
trying to do. To make our < 1% of desktop users grow, to make software
freedom more accessible to a wider range of people, to help make what we
all work on matter more.

So, yeah, I do think they need marketing.

> Sorry, I really didn't want to make it sound like a conspiracy. It's
> just that they way Mo talked about this special request looked a bit
> odd in the IRC logs. Once again, I am sorry I couldn't be there and
> ask the questions in person at the time.

How did I talk about it that made that impression? Can you help me
understand?

> OK, we definitely have a different view of the team then. Maybe it is
> because I haven't been on board that long. All I know is that people
> outside Fedora think that's what we are doing... May be a
> communication / PR issue then.

People outside of Fedora think we're going with the GNOME 3
wallpaper????