[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 09:10:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 20:23 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 22:28 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > IMHO this would lessen Fedora's visual identity a lot. Imagine you boot
> > a F15 Desktop Live and what you see is almost pristine GNOME 3 desktop.
> > Where's Fedora in it? Where's our own visual identity in it?
>
> Our visual identity would (if the proposal is accepted) be present on
> the website, on the DVD disc labels and sleeves, in syslinux, in the
> installer, in firstboot, in plymouth, and on the login screen. The
> wallpaper we design will be the default for GDM.

That's not what you see when you boot and log-in to desktop. When
someone peeks around my shoulder he should be something like, "oh you're
using fedora!", if I use default settings. Furthermore -- if the GDM and
plymouth are different from wallpaper, we're breaking the smoothness in
desktop spin.

> I honestly don't remember the KDE SIG ever approaching us with this
> request. And honestly why would they? - they aren't the default
> download, so it's not up to this team, it's up to the KDE SIG what to
> do. This team, the design team, has purview over the default wallpaper
> in the default Fedora. Spins have always been able to change their
> wallpapers as they've liked, and we've even designed alternative
> wallpapers for them at their request (e.g., Education Spin and Security
> Spin.)

Spin authors have usually two options
      * use fedora visual identity
      * use spin-specific visual identity

I believe the "desktop" spins, i.e. Desktop, KDE, LXDE and XFCE, should
fall ideally into the first category, while the others, which are
usually thematic (like Security, Education, FEL), fall into the other
category. However the final decision is always on the spin maintainers.

> > OK, so upstream wants to promote GNOME 3. I'm not a fan of gnome-shell
> > (quite the contrary), but let them do it. But why the visual identity?
> > It's the behaviour, the work-flow, the experience that makes GNOME 3
> > from end-user point of view, and it's the visual identity that makes our
> > distro Fedora from end-user POV (among other things, but the visual
> > identity is the first thing you see).
>
> They believe the stripes is part of their upstream visual identity. To
> be fair, they are producing a lot of nice visual materials including
> videos that have the stripes - because as a DE they must remain neutral
> wrt distros, so they obviously cannot pick a favorite in choosing a
> wallpaper. They would like the visual identity then across
> GNOME-produced materials and Fedora materials and materials produced by
> journalists and other reviewers checking out GNOME 3 via Fedora to be
> consistent. This makes sense to me. After F15, it won't be as big a deal
> since all the hooplah will be over, so at that point we can go back to
> the standard operating procedure.

This makes perfect sense up to the first mention of Fedora to me.

> > So in short, let's be *first* to ship GNOME 3 and let's be *first* to
> > ship it with our own visual identity. We, the fedora design team, should
> > be leaders in our area as well ;-)
>
> I am unsure if we will be the first to ship GNOME 3. Certainly we will
> be first to ship it by default. I don't understand how we are being
> leaders in what you suggest here.

Being the first community that is able to create and maintain a full
Fedora visual identity.

Martin