[Design-team] Fedora 15 GNOME Default Wallpaper

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 12:33:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> That's an absolutely horrible UI; it would be like asking them at
> boot time what their shell should be, or their mail client, or their
> web browser, or any number of other implementation details that just
> serves to confuse the user and get in the way of them actually logging
> in and doing whatever task they want. It's important to choose good
> defaults, not just punt choices to the user.

Last time I did an install there was a series of questions / intrusive
UI on the first boot, is it so different?

As a user I don't really care what the background is, so long as my
subjective impression doesn't find it offensive. If I find it
offensive it's only a few clicks to replace it.

If I was a Gnome developer I'd probably be keen to see the upstream
presentation preserved; as a user I do find some value in this.

If I was a Fedora design team member I'd probably be keen for users to
have access to the Fedora version of Gnome 3, equally as a user I
would like to have this option.

Isn't it crucial to keeping everyone reasonably happy to let the users
have the option to choose from both alternatives, and wouldn't a first
boot question fit that perfectly?

-Cam