[Design-team] Fedora 15 GNOME Default Wallpaper

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Dec 21 12:53:28 UTC 2010

On 12/21/2010 02:33 PM, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Bill Nottingham  wrote:
>> That's an absolutely horrible UI; it would be like asking them at
>> boot time what their shell should be, or their mail client, or their
>> web browser, or any number of other implementation details that just
>> serves to confuse the user and get in the way of them actually logging
>> in and doing whatever task they want. It's important to choose good
>> defaults, not just punt choices to the user.
>
> Last time I did an install there was a series of questions / intrusive
> UI on the first boot, is it so different?

Yes, it is, we already have to many question at firstboot. We should not
ask there questions that are trivial or for which the user is not
prepared to answer.

> As a user I don't really care what the background is, so long as my
> subjective impression doesn't find it offensive. If I find it
> offensive it's only a few clicks to replace it.
>
> If I was a Gnome developer I'd probably be keen to see the upstream
> presentation preserved; as a user I do find some value in this.
>
> If I was a Fedora design team member I'd probably be keen for users to
> have access to the Fedora version of Gnome 3, equally as a user I
> would like to have this option.

They still can have the choice in the background selection app and we
provide there aa larger pool to choose from, but, and this was the
philosophy in GNOME for *years*, is important to have good defaults.

> Isn't it crucial to keeping everyone reasonably happy to let the users
> have the option to choose from both alternatives, and wouldn't a first
> boot question fit that perfectly?

No, it would be too much to ask, is a slippery slope, where do we start?
ask also about icon themes, cursor look, preferred SMTP server, shoes
size etc.?