[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Dec 21 14:10:23 UTC 2010

On Monday, December 20, 2010 05:46:17 pm Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 10:02 +0100, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > Actually I asked for something I proposed here - KDE was in the same
> > situation one year ago... And I still think it's a good idea - to merge
> > upstream/downstream branding - it would work best for both Gnome and KDE,
> > it's long-term solution etc. I'll try to write down the proposal.
>
> Did you ask here, in the design team? Can you find it in the archives? I
> looked... you mentioned it was in the archives at some point but I could
> not find it.

Just as a reference, The History...
http://www.mail-archive.com/design-team@lists.fedoraproject.org/msg00226.html

I expected Gnome will join one day ;-) And I completely understand upstreams -
they want their identity, their brand, we can hide them very well. Actually
Fedora hides Gnome very well, I'm trying to convince KDE SIG to hide KDE as much
as possible :)

The Future
But I think - this is the only way how we can live together with upstreams under
the same roof. There are several advantages - it would be much more easier for
Owen to convince other distros to go this way - as other distros already took
this path with Plasma branding (check OpenSUSE wallpapers for example), it's
going to work for Fedora, Gnome, KDE, whatever -> win, it's a long term solution
(not only F15, someDE release etc). Of course - there are few cons - it's not
easy to find the way how to combine downstream/upstream wallpapers. But on the
other hand - both Shell and Plasma use desktop in a different way. Now wallpapers
are more visible but should not distract from task - are more backgrounds than
something nice on your desktop. This means - our wp should be more clean, simple
(not without idea!!!) and it should work - to combine it with upstream (again -
clean, simple designs). And it's a nice junior job for beginners here :)

R.