[Design-team] Fedora 15 GNOME Default Wallpaper

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Dec 21 14:15:05 UTC 2010

On 12/21/2010 03:39 PM, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> I think this is wrong:
>
>> Provide the *better* default.
>
> That assumes that there is such a thing as 'better' when really it's
> subjective. X might be better for Fedora, Y might be better for Gnome

And this is the crux of the debate we have here, do we want the better
for Fedora or for GNOME.

> and either might be equally good for a user!

For the user is important to have an *usable* wallpaper and a smooth
experience.

>> The default is what the users will see for the first time ans what the
>> reviews will feature. It is the first impression and is important.
>
> If there was a choice then the reviews would notice that, surely?
> Would they complain more about being offered a choice than about
> someone else's idea of the 'better' background?

Yes, asking for that choice would be bad usability and a real reason for
us to be shamed.
As much as I oppose having the upstream wallpaper as a default, I would
agree is better having it instead of asking the user to choose at the
wrong time (firstboot).

> I would be much more worried about first impressions of things like
> Gnome Shell than the background. If we provide Gnome Shell by default,
> will anyone even notice the background?

The plan from the Desktop people is to have the Shell as a default (if
it will be ready in time) and their intention is to use the upstream
wallpaper as default to emphasize this.