[Design-team] Fedora 15 GNOME Default Wallpaper

twohot twohot at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 21 14:32:17 UTC 2010

On 21 December 2010 14:39, Camilo Mesias <camilo at mesias.co.uk> wrote:
> I think this is wrong:
>
>> Provide the *better* default.
>
> That assumes that there is such a thing as 'better' when really it's
> subjective. X might be better for Fedora, Y might be better for Gnome
> and either might be equally good for a user!

No. One default can be better than another.  Even if you take a
subjective approach and take a poll.  You'll get a clear winner ...
subjective as the result may appear, you have a more acceptable art.
It is important to provide a generally accepted winner than a winner
accepted by a few.

>> The default is what the users will see for the first time ans what the
>> reviews will feature. It is the first impression and is important.
>
> If there was a choice then the reviews would notice that, surely?
> Would they complain more about being offered a choice than about
> someone else's idea of the 'better' background?
>
> I would be much more worried about first impressions of things like
> Gnome Shell than the background. If we provide Gnome Shell by default,
> will anyone even notice the background?

Of COurse! I am using gnome-shell and I see the wallpaper all the
time.  Maybe you should preview Gnome3 first