[Design-team] Fedora 15 GNOME Default Wallpaper

Onyeibo Oku twohot at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 22 09:08:06 UTC 2010

On 12/22/2010 08:44 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 12/22/2010 09:11 AM, Onyeibo Oku wrote:
>> On 12/22/2010 07:44 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Ideally we would NOT vote (yes, I also think this is a bad way to make
>>> the decision) but decide by consensus. We as a team tried to operate
>>> this way all along (F10 was a bad exception we don't want to repeat).
>>>

>> I joined after F11. Would be helpful to know what happened at F10.
>
> We had 4 competing design (Solar, InvinXible, Gears and Neon), nobody
> backed down, it was impossible for the team to get to a consensus for a
> "winner", we had to vote which lead to huge debates, animosity and
> people trying to rig the system (join the team only for the vote). We
> decided we want to be friends and not repeat the experience.

That looks dangerously similar to what's happening -- I mean the
increased interest in Design-Team membership within the past 48hrs. I
don't feel too good any more (I moved the motion for votes). Only that
we have an 'alien' design to deal with time time around.

<thinking aloud> I personally don't buy the wallpaper concept (stripes)
but it does go well with the Gnome3 mock-ups (which means the Gnome3
interface overhaul will be more at home with the kind of wallpapers made
by the Fedora Design Team).  However, in the spirit of Open-Source and
Linux OS as a whole, its humbling to get a request to assist a major
contributor to Linux DE.

Argh ... *scratching-my-head* ... but Fedora Design team handles design
request other than those internally generated. Why didn't Gnome ask us
to do this through the usual means -- place the request on Trac and
alarm us to do our thing -- to produce a mock-up wallpaper (even link a
sample concept, the stripes).  It would have been downstream -> upstream
motion as usual.  That would have made this case so much easier. It
would have been a Gnome3 wallpaper ... but a Fedora Design Team work.

It adds up.  This is a dilemma ... How did we get here? How do we end
this? </thinking aloud>

--
Oku Onyeibo
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/user:twohot