[Design-team] Fedora 15 GNOME Default Wallpaper

Fabian A. Scherschel fab at sixgun.org
Wed Dec 22 10:50:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Camilo Mesias <camilo at mesias.co.uk> wrote:

> It's not that ridiculous if you think about it. It might be different
> to what you are used to from a Linux distro.
>
> I'm thinking of lots of modern websites where the design and
> functionality has been changed*. These are leading sites that haven't
> got to where they are by alienating users. It is similar to changing
> the way the desktop works.

I am sorry, but I don't agree. I meant what I said. It's horrible UX, even I
can see that. Fedora is not Facebook or Twitter and even if you could
compare a desktop operating system to a website, I'd say the way that these
proprietary, closed systems are handling their design choices is nothing a
volunteer-driven Linux distro should aspire to. As Nicu said, we already
have way too many choices, questions and knobs as it stands. I don't want us
to become one-happy-button MacOS, far from that, but we still need to be
conscious of not confusing or annoying end users-

> As a gentle introduction to the changes,
> the user on first login is offered a tour of the new features which
> integrates nicely with a chance to change or set the optional bits of
> the interface. Actually I think that would work really well with Gnome
> 3 if only someone had the time, the overall vision and the
> responsibility for making sure the users 'bought in' to the new
> design...

Do you remember Windows XP? I haven't seen one single user in five years of
part-time professional Windows end-user support that hasn't clicked away
these tours immediately. People don't want them. People also  want a nice
default wallpaper without being asked questions.

If in doubt, I'd rather use the stock Gnome wallpaper than asking people
questions first. It's a nice-looking wallpaper and my quarrel with adopting
it lies on a very different level as I hope I've made clear in this thread
already.

No offense, I didn't want to insult you, I just wanted to be clear about it.

Fab