[Design-team] Hands-on: new single-window mode makes GIMP less gimpy

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Wed Feb 10 16:50:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 10:04 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hey dudes,

I'm not a dude :)

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I want that so bad!
> >>
> >> I do think the example photo in the screenshots is in poor taste,
> >> though. :)
> >
> > I guess it would depend on whether people in the picture worked on the
> > new single window mode of GIMP.  If so, good on them!  If not, shame
> > on the editors for creating that impression.
>
> I'm assuming we're talking about the Ubuntu group shots.
>
> I don't think there is a conspiracy.  Probably more like this:
> Ryan Paul (segphault) wrote the review.  He also works on Gwibber.
> Gwibber is hosted in launchpad.  He likely been to a number of UDSs.
> This photo is probably from one of those.  Gwibber seems to be a key
> feature of the upcoming Lucid release.  He's probably also a big
> Ubuntu fan - like most geeks.

Nobody is talking about a conspiracy.

> We should try not to be haters because Ubuntu is doing so well.  They
> are really focusing as a project - that is commendable.  And something
> that so far Fedora has failed to do - actually *refused* to do.

I made the original statement, and the intent was not to "be hatin'" -
I was just pointing out it was a curious choice of photo considering the
amount of publicity pulling Gimp from Ubuntu got in recent weeks. That
is all. If it was a picture of Fedora folks and Fedora had *just
recently* announced pulling Gimp from default install I would have said
the same thing. Similarly, I might make the same comment about a car
rental company advertising how safe their fleet is if it had a big
picture of a Toyota - because right now Toyota is getting a lot of
negative publicity about their safety standards.

Fedora has not "refused" to focus as a project - what a provocative
thing to say! Have you been following the Board's initiatives lately?
Let's not hate on Fedora either.

> We should also probably consider debranding Fedora hosted so it isn't
> as distasteful to people looking for a sourceforge alternative.

I didn't think we're in the business of being a sourceforge alternative
nor do I think we want to be or have the resources to do that.