[Design-team] Hands-on: new single-window mode makes GIMP less gimpy

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 11 14:46:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> I think you're missing the major point.
>
> Design should exist without boundaries of the existing, and disregard
> opinion of the masses.
> I'd point you to that article:
> http://w.koreatimes.com/article/576354
> (originally in the NY Times)
>
> And if you have access to the BBC iPlayer, you should watch the latest
> "Newswipe", which has a portion about political elitism, taking Roy
> Jenkins as an example of increasing liberties[1].
>
> Design might be elitist, but it needs to be elitist (and therefore,
> unpopular) if there is any chance of it being useful.
>
> Otherwise we're stuck in with the same old paradigm.

Is this how you think of yourself? As the design Elite?

Afaict nothing done on the linux desktop  in the last 10 yrs has
been anything other than a copy of whatever windows and osx did
before.

If OSX is the original then the linux desktop is the cheap knockoff
churned out in a sweatshop in god-for-saken-nowhere.

Now, to be fair - I use the linux desktop b/c it's the FREE SOFTWARE
knockoff - and the FREE SOFTWARE is what matters to me. But I don't have
any illusion that the linux desktop is innovative or elite.

I stopped having that illusion a long time ago.

But I'm just a simpleton, clearly not elite, what would I know?

-sv

ps: look at the hisory of those people who ignored the masses. Look at how
many of them ended under the bootheel of history. Change happens through
evolution, revolutions just cause sufferring.