[Design-team] The cursor

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Feb 22 12:07:29 UTC 2010

On 02/22/2010 09:54 AM, Hristo Petkov wrote:

> Why don't you make a feasibility study to see that most of the users
> don't like to look professional - they are fond of 'lighting effects'
> and 'cool things'.
>
> Yet there is a large share of people who want to look professional.

Professional = something looking polished, that developers/designers put
thought on.

But the most important is for the design to be usable: the large
majority of users to feel comfortable with. When I am playing a fantasy
RPG I am happy with the cursor being shaped as a sword, but when doing
graphics in Inkscape, it *must* be clean and black like Bluecurve (so I
have good contrast with the document).

> Maybe an option should be made to customise the desktop according to the
> personal preferences, thus the 'philosophy dispute' about the design
> image could be ended.

Changing the cursor theme is only a few click away for an user willing
to do it, but the out-of-the-box experience must be good, as the large
majority will stay with that.