[Design-team] F13 Wallpaper questions

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Jan 11 08:15:25 UTC 2010

On 01/10/2010 11:16 PM, Lukáš Vlček wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering contributing into F13 wallpaper (or trying to propose
> another trash concept). But I would like to ask few questions first
> (sorry these are all newbie questions):
>
> 1) how much time is left for F13 concepts? As far as I understand there
> are some dates:
> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13/f-13-design-tasks.html
> and wallpaper concept design will close on Mon 2010-02-08. More
> specifically, after this date only those concepts will be elaborated
> more which were submitted by Mon 2010-02-08, am I correct?

I think you are pretty much correct, however it would be best to have
the concept proposed before 2009-12-25 (end of "Conceptual Design Phase").
Note: obviously, a "concept" is just a concept, it can be just a rough
sketch.

> 2) do I understand it correctly, that after this there will be only 7
> days to finalize selected concept to a production quality (Finalize
> Alpha Wallpaper)?

It does not have to be "production quality" by that date, there is also
a polishing stage during beta, it has to be good enough that we don't
feel embarrassed by including it in an Alpha build, it is supposed to
show the direction we are intending to take and something people can
base their feedback on.
For F12 we had multiple images at this stage.

> 3) is there any technical specification for F wallpapers? I.e.:
> resolution(s) for single - dual screen configuration, recommended colors
> for F13 release, etc ...

During the F12 development cycle we advanced the idea to go with a
simple, preferably vector, design as a default and a few other
additional images. We ended with a simple raster image but such things
happen...
AFAIK the plan didn't change, so those still hold for F13.

You are correct, we sill need also a version for dual screen, also
version for normal and wide screens. As colors, we feel blue is part of
Fedora's visual identity so we want blue *at least* as a secondary color
(usually is the primary color).

> 4) I did not have a chance to follow theme discussion for F13. Is there
> any limitation/recommendation about what should/should-not be depicted
> in F13 wallpaper?

Feel free to try anything in the "concept" stage, we planned to try
something matching the release code name "Goddard", so space or
rocketry, but this is not a *must*, just a starting point, we can end
with something completely unrelated.

> 5) Is it important which SW is used to create F wallpaper? In other
> words, does it matter if Photoshop is used? (I don't want to start flame
> wars, I just did not have enough time to learn GIMP better so far, also
> I am not sure whether my good-old Wacom Artpad will work with Fedora. I
> use Fedora as a SW developer on a daily basis but did not use it before
> as a graphic designer...)

We don't forbid certain tools, just *encourage* the the tools which can
be used on Fedora. However, we *require* open formats and source
availability, so no matter which application is used, if it is raster
you have to provide an .xcf and if it is vector you must provide a .svg

Just give a try to your tablet, my old Graphire works flawlessly, the
tablet support in F12 is really good.