[Design-team] F13 Wallpaper questions

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Jan 11 09:23:04 UTC 2010

On 01/11/2010 10:54 AM, Lukáš Vlček wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
      AFAIK the plan didn't change, so those still hold for F13.

>     You are correct, we sill need also a version for dual screen, also
>     version for normal and wide screens. As colors, we feel blue is part of
>     Fedora's visual identity so we want blue *at least* as a secondary color
>     (usually is the primary color).
>

> The concept which I have in my head is raster based work thus I would
> welcome if anybody can give me any hints about recommended resolution(s).
> I am thinking about two side screen theme which can be then sliced
> (cropped) into smaller formats and single screen size.
> Or even better, I would like to know the maximal X and Y size of the
> largest possible screen (probably a dual screen?) and then
> ratios/proportions of other smaller formats (like 3:4, 5:9 ... etc)
> Then I will use the biggest size times 2 or 3 as a base for my concept
> (so it will be always downsized and possibly even cropped in the end).

/usr/share/backtrounds/constantine/

We have there a standard size at 2048x1536, 1920x1200 for wide, dual
screens for both and the infamous 1280x1024. Those are good indicators
for the target.

>     We don't forbid certain tools, just *encourage* the the tools which can
>     be used on Fedora. However, we *require* open formats and source
>     availability, so no matter which application is used, if it is raster
>     you have to provide an .xcf and if it is vector you must provide a .svg
>
> I quickly checked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCF_%28file_format%29 and
> it reads:
> "The use of XCF as a data interchange format is not recommended by the
> GIMP developers..."
> However, I am fine with this as it seems that there is no better option
> wrt established open standard for raster images right now.

For now XCF is the only layered format we can use to interchange,
OpenRaster is not "there" yet, and opening PSD files is unreliable.