[Design-team] The theme

Lukáš Vlček lukas.vlcek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 20:33:01 UTC 2010

Christo,

I think this is very subjective. For example I currently use the following
as my background: http://marcuscutler.com/wallpaper-2010-calendar.html
It is bright and contains strong visual elements (even text!).
Moreover, most of the time I do not see it at all because my desktop is
filled with many application windows. I see the background just at the
beginning of my work and it sets my mood in the morning... so I would not
overvalue dark and neutral backgrounds. Also I tend to change background
several times during the year (may be four or five times...)

This brings up the most important question: What is the purpose of the
background in Fedora?
Users can find tons of neutral backgrounds on the net and switch if they
like (and I believe they do it) but I believe that for background in Fedora
the most important function is to carry a message!

I am quite new to this mail list so this might have been discussed before
but I think that there is no reason why F13 shouldn't be shipped with
several different backgrounds, they should all stick to specific theme (or
carry the same message) but should be variable enough so that different
people will find some.

Let's take boring commercial TVs as an example. The program is created in
such a way that it tries to attract as many people as possible. But this is
not possible and as a result you get the most average program for average
people. But each individual is different and in the end the TV program does
not fit anybody...

Regards,
Lukas