[Design-team] The theme

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Jan 18 09:14:20 UTC 2010

On 01/15/2010 10:33 PM, Lukáš Vlček wrote:

> This brings up the most important question: What is the purpose of the
> background in Fedora?
> Users can find tons of neutral backgrounds on the net and switch if they
> like (and I believe they do it) but I believe that for background in
> Fedora the most important function is to carry a message!

The purpose of the *default* background in Fedora is to be usable
(un-intrusive, comfortable to look at) and easily recognizable (having a
"Fedora" feel).

> I am quite new to this mail list so this might have been discussed
> before but I think that there is no reason why F13 shouldn't be shipped
> with several different backgrounds, they should all stick to specific
> theme (or carry the same message) but should be variable enough so that
> different people will find some.

This is what we tried for F12: a default image (abstract, usable,
simple, blue) and a number of additional images trying to cater to
different audiences. Read for reference:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-June/000250.html

AFAIK, the plan is still holding for F13.