[Design-team] Design Suite Change of Goals Proposal

Chris Jones chrisjones at comcen.com.au
Thu Jul 8 23:28:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the current goals of design suite quite worked for the start, i.e.
> > define what kind of apps/content in general we want in. Now, I think
> > it's time to move on and define some long term goals in terms of *use
> > cases* and *work-flows*.
> >
> > Some ideas that come to mind:
> >      * Joe has been on a holidays trip with family and recorded a lot
> >        of content with his DV video camera. He want's to import the
> >        shots into the computer, do some cutting, add background
> >        music, ... and make a video he can show his friends.
> >      * Minori was on a school trip to Kyōto and shot a lot of photos
> >        with her camera. She wants to edit them a little (fix
> >        perspective, red eyes, colours, ...), organize and archive them,
> >        and publish some of them on web in a blog post (and/or face
> >        book?).
> >      * Ed is giving a presentation on a conference and he wants to
> >        prepare some slides to show.
> >      * Alice wants to design a font for her comic strips.
> >      * Květa wants to draw a comic strip.
> >      * Pablo is going to design an icon for his favourite application.
> >      * Yujin wants to help with Fedora artwork so she downloaded some
> >        wallpaper WIP and decided to improve it.
> >
> > More ideas welcome. IMHO we should choose a few concrete use-cases (like
> > those listed above), for each propose at least one "ideal" work-flow and
> > then find and include the needed apps in the design spin. And for each
> > work-flow make some sort of tutorial -- e.g. step-by-step "comic",
> > screen-cast, ... -- which we would include in the design suite.
> >
> > Any suggestions, critics, ...? How does this sound.
>
> I personally believe this would be an awesome thing to do! :) Instead
> of throwing randomly throwing applications at the user, we'd be able
> to provide them with a way how to use the applications that actually
> *fit* these use cases.
>
> I would really like to see something like that evolve, but I'm
> obviously not the only one anymore who has a say about that (and I'm
> quite happy about that; thank you Chris and Pierros once again!).
>
> Cheers!
> --Sebastian
>
> P.S.: Would it make sense to put these use cases in the wiki or maybe
> organize a sprint in IRC around that?
>
> > Cheers,
> > Martin

I'll give this some thought over the weekend. I'll keep you posted wit my ideas.
Regards

--
Chris Jones
Photographic Imaging Professional and Graphic Designer

Photo Resolutions - Photo Printing, Editing and Restorations
Web: http://photoresolutions.freehostia.com
Email: <chrisjones at comcen.com.au> or <ubuntu_cj at comcen.com.au>

Fedora Design Suite Developer and Co-Maintainer
Email: <foxmulder881 at fedoraproject.org>

--
GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Public Key Fingerprint: