[Design-team] Wiki page for country

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 13 14:24:42 UTC 2010

Hi Jef!

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 14:35 +0200, Jef van Schendel wrote:
> Here's a quick mock-up. Flags should probably be smaller and all that.
>
> http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/fedoracommunity/fedoracommunity.org.flags.png
>
> How many of these websites exist? Is it just these 5 so far?

Your mockup really looks great! However, I do think we really have to be
careful about using flags though. E.g. if a Chinese user sees a
Taiwanese flag, they may not take it the right way or vice-versa.
Seriously. See the amount of discussion the issue generated about the
usage of flags on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Use_of_flags_in_articles/Archive_1#Use_of_flags_for_non-sovereign_nations

Nicu, I'm not sure about your point on the website being hosted in the
USA? Wherever the site is hosted, if a flag is handled with a lack of
sensitivity to some issue we may not even be aware of, it can still be
seen by the potentially-offended parties, no? (Even China could block
our site yet still there would be the possibility of upsetting some
other nation?)

I'll bring this issue up with the board and see what they think. I think
your mockup will be of help in the discussion, Jef!