[Design-team] Wonderful news (was Re: Fedora Branding Fonts)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 14:04:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 09:28:33AM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 12:54 AM, Cata wrote:
> > These fonts, have accents?
>
> Some. For example Comfortaa and Cantarell has ăâî but it does not have
> țș, Driod seems to have ș but still no ț.
> Unfortunately MgOpen Modata is worse (nothing), Liberation Sans was
> patched only recently and DejaVu is too generic.

I saw this on the Cantarell site as well, which gave me pause:

"Since the design was tested mainly when displayed on-screen at small
sizes, the printed output (especially of the bold and oblique) does
not work well. I hope to publish a final release that is tuned to the
needs of printing in the future."

If we're planning to use these fonts in printed material, should the
printed output be a consideration?  How does Cantarell fare in
comparison with something like Droid Sans?