[Design-team] www.fpo content review

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 19:09:35 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 04:35:32PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:00:16 -0400,
>   "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > We've gone through several phases of web redesign.  Before Fedora 12,
> > the Design and Websites teams produced the new spins.fp.o site.
> > Before Fedora 13, the get-fedora* pages were upgraded.  And now,
> > hopefully in time for the release of Fedora 14, we want to have a new
> > main site page (www.fp.o) that really shows off the long, long way
> > that Fedora and the Fedora Project have come since the early days.
>
> What is going to be the impact of this change on the Spins SIG and the
> spin owners?

There's already been a lot of discussion about this very subject when
we did the original mockups for a new website.  In fact, the redesign
started with a full spins.fp.o site that would offer content from each
spin owner (or owning group), to replace the old site that was simply
an ugly torrent listing.

The mockup originally done for the front page needs a bit of
fine-tuning to ensure its design is coherent both with get-fedora and
with the spins.fp.o site.  It's designed to provide an immediate
download route for someone who wants to try Fedora and has no basis on
which to choose from many options.  At the same time, it needs to have
a clear route to the full roster of choices for people who know they
*don't* want the default.

I would expect we'd tune the results following a release cycle, when
we can accurately measure e.g. the changes in absolute or relative
number of downloads.  I believe there was some discussion about these
measurements previously on the advisory-board list that we should
capture into the rollout and assessment plan if it's not there
already.