[Design-team] Reminder: Design Team Meeting Today!

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 27 21:42:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 09:55 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> This is a reminder that our weekly IRC meeting is at 19:00 UTC today
> (July 27) in #fedora-design on irc.freenode.net.

LINKAGE
=======

Minutes:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-design/2010-07-27/fedora-design.2010-07-27-19.01.html

Minutes (text):
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-design/2010-07-27/fedora-design.2010-07-27-19.01.txt

Log:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-design/2010-07-27/fedora-design.2010-07-27-19.01.log.html

SUMMARY
=======

1 - F14 artwork for alpha
-------------------------
Reference: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F14_Artwork

We decided to go with kylebaker's latest iteration for the alpha:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-2400x1536.png

Kyle has provided it in 16:10, 4:3, and 5:4:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F14_Artwork/Alpha_Sizes_Sources

Martin has packaged it:
http://mso.fedorapeople.org/packages/RPMS/noarch/laughlin-backgrounds-gnome-13.91.0-1.fc12.noarch.rpm
http://mso.fedorapeople.org/packages/RPMS/noarch/laughlin-backgrounds-single-13.91.0-1.fc12.noarch.rpm

Martin has also blogged the alpha package now that it's ready:
http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/2010/07/f14-laughling-wallpapers-package.html

Kyle will blog the wallpaper itself to get more feedback on the latest
version.

Luya noted we didn't get any feedback on the wallpaper yet from Fedora
Forum.

Upcoming F14 artwork deadlines:

- alpha website banner due aug 13
- supplemental wallpaper selection due aug 19
- f14 splash screens (anaconda, firstboot, etc) due aug 30
- beta wallpaper due sep 3

2 - Branding fonts
------------------
Reference: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design/Fedora_Branding_Fonts

Mizmo blogged Comfortaa yesterday http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/unpackaged-open-font-comfortaa/

Luya will package Comfortaa in the next few days so it'll be part of Fedora.

We still need to make a Droid Sans vs. Cantarell decision. Emily noted
that she thought Droid Sans was more readable than Cantarell in the
Fedora slide template. Nicu, Martin, and Luya noted they preferred
Cantarell because it was created with FLOSS tools and because
interaction with upstream has been very positive so far. To help make
the decision, Martin suggested some type samples to compare the two be
created, so Emily volunteered to create them using English, Russian, and
Greek text.

Martin also noted it would be nice if we could find a good CJK font to
match.

Ian Weller is meeting with Pam Chestek from RH legal to discuss the
possibility of changing some of our (registered & unregistered)
trademarks to use Comfortaa instead of Bryant 2. He showed one of the
mockups he created using Comfortaa to replace MgOpen Modata in the
FUDcon logo: http://ianweller.fedorapeople.org/fudcon-comfortaa.png

Some points that were brought up:

- We may be able to change to Comfortaa in all trademarked Fedora logos
- We may only be able to change to Comfortaa in unregistered trademark
Fedora logos (e.g., the FUDcon logo and the four foundations logos.) If
so, we should be conscious that the registered trademark logos won't
clash with Comfortaa-based unregistered trademark logos.
- The main reason we'd like to change the fonts in the logos is because
currently the Fedora logo uses the non-FLOSS 'Bryant2' font, and we're
looking to switch to Comfortaa from Modata for better i18n support.

Ian also noted he is now maintaining the logo at fedoraproject.org queue.
Máirín has wanted to get it off of her plate for a while, but because it
concerns Red Hat owned trademarks, it needs to be administered by a Red
Hat employee.

3 - Join design team page
-------------------------
Reference: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_Design_Team

Emily made some great updates to Michael's new Join page for our team.
Máirín updated the design team wiki to reference this page, so it
is now official:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design

It was also noted that the old Artwork page
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork) should have an 'out-of-date,
please visit /wiki/Design' notice put at the top so it doesn't confuse
potential new team members. Since there is still some potentially
valuable content on the old artwork page, perhaps the Design page should
reference it rather than us delete it outright. We still need a
volunteer to take are of this cleanup work.

4 - Fedora website redesign
---------------------------
Reference: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign

Máirín gave a quick update on the fedoraproject.org website redesign
effort. She cleaned up the wiki page for the project which is now at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign. She is in the process
of uploading the new www.fpo mockups to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign_2009/Mockups/Www.fpo and
will also be blogging them. She is in the process of incorporating Emily
and Jef's suggestions from last week.

There are some open tasks re: the website design that mizmo needs to
check in on with Jef and Ian:

- Tutorial listing:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-July/002889.html

- Content review:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-July/002885.html

Máirín also noted she made some website redesign project blog posts last
week:

- get.fpo post mortem
http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/get-fedoraproject-org-redesign-post-mortem/

- Fedora website redesign history
http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/fedora-websites-design-status/

5 - UX redesign projects
------------------------

Last week in the post-meeting chat we talked about how we focus so far
mostly on branding and artwork projects. Jef and Emily suggested we
might want to work on more UX-based projects as well. Emily filed two
tickets for potential UX projects for our team:

- Live USB Creator UI
https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/146

- Installer UI
https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/147

Both of these are part of fedora; a critical part of the fedora
experience since every user installing fedora goes through one or the
other, and fedora is also the upstream for both these projects so they
seem like good places to start.

Emily and Máirín expressed their interest in working on both, and Luya
expressed interest in the installer. Máirín noted that she was happy to
bring anybody up to speed who felt they lacked GUI UX skills and wanted
to help out. Máirín also suggested that folks interested in helping out
could run through either or both the installer and live usb creator, and
keep a little journal of their experience with screenshots if possible.
Note any weird issues, problems, or confusions. She committed to doing
this with Live USB creator by next meeting. Once we have a 'usability
bug list' we'll have good information to build improved mockups with.

It was also noted the installer is GTK-based and the live USB creator is
QT4. But Máirín noted if there is a widget you need that isn available
or some other thing you think would make a better user experience, go
ahead and mock it up and weĺl figure out how to make it happen.

6 - Design team member interviews

Robyn will be getting to these as soon as possible. With OScon and
FUDcon planning on her plate things have been kind of hectic for her
lately.

7 - OScon
---------

Mel shared her notes on a session about open source software and art
+design at OScon, please have a read: