[Design-team] Font comparison

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 08:55:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 09:09 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 07/29/2010 07:43 AM, Emily Dirsh wrote:
> >
> > I started making up the type samples for font comparison, but I kept
> > thinking that something interactive would be more useful, so I made this
> > <http://www.fightingcrane.com/emily/fedora/fontfight/> instead. Everyone
> > go and try it out so we can pick a font already. :)
>
> Awesome Emily, this is what we we needed
+10

> > Here's the full url:
> > http://www.fightingcrane.com/emily/fedora/fontfight/
>
> Looking comparatively, I can say I *do* prefer Cantarell, it is more
> spaced, having "air to breath"... compared with it Droid looks to me
> crammed, busy.
> I also  like Cantarell shapes, think they are more elegant, giving us a
> more special, individual look - compare for example the glyph for "8" in
> both fonts.

I also prefer the Cantarell shapes (by a large margin) but on the flip
side, on my F12 while Droid Sans is hinted perfectly well (just like
DejaVu Sans is), Cantarell is blurry. The English is so so, but Greek
and Russian really suffer a lot (LCD display, subpixel smoothing, full
hinting). Although, by playing with it in gimp it seems like autohinter
is for some reason off for Cantarell...

Martin