[Design-team] Font comparison

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 16:11:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:47:53AM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 00:43 -0400, Emily Dirsh wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I started making up the type samples for font comparison, but I kept
> > thinking that something interactive would be more useful, so I made
> > this instead. Everyone go and try it out so we can pick a font
> > already. :)
> >
> > Here's the full url:
> > http://www.fightingcrane.com/emily/fedora/fontfight/
>
> Wow, that's really amazing Emily - you've written an app in its own
> right here! :)
>
> I'm definitely liking Cantarell more. Like Nicu said, it feels it has
> more breathing spacing and I think is a bit easier to read.

Hm, I found the extra kern space is actually making word shape
recognition quite a bit harder in Cantarell.  Also, there are some odd
spacing issues, check out:

* 'me' in 'Americans' (line 1)
* 'ms' in 'museums' (line 2)
* 'ed' in 'esteemed' (line 2)

Looks like 'e', 'm', 'F', 'o' are kind of wonky that way.  Gets a
little worse at smaller point sizes.