[Design-team] FUDCon EMEA 2010

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 30 14:32:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 16:59 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 03/30/2010 02:34 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > As this years EMEA FUDCon will happen in Zurich we would be very
> > pleased if you could helps us desinging a Logo/T-Shirt.
> >
> > As Zurich is surrounded by mountains and a lake it would be great to
> > see these elements in the design.
>
> Hmmm... this is I think the first FUDCon of the year, so now it the time
> to set a graphic theme for this year's FUDCons, in 2008 we had the
> cityscapes
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Artwork_T%282d%29Shirt_fudcon-boston-2008-1_design.png)
> and in 2009 the tag clouds
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Artwork_T%282d%29Shirt_fudcon-boston-2009-1_design.png).
>
> Let me tr to start the process with a simple question: what people liked
> better, the white shirts of 2008 or the black ones of 2009? (for the
> record, my preference is for black)

Everyone I've talked to said they really preferred the black and were
happy to get black last time around. I think it might be nice to have a
blue one though... :)

> Please everyone feel free to submit ideas, I think the constraints we
> have to work with are:
> - a small number of colors, the number of color will directly affect the
> price, 2 colors would be OK, 3 colors would be high and we can use 4
> only if our sponsor agree;
> - no small details on the design: small details are hard to print
> cheaply, the clouds design had *too small* letters and we had problems
> with printing.
>
> Other than that, I think not even the sky is the limit for our
> imagination, let's play.

Does anyone have a fashion designer t-shirt design that they like? We
should make something that someone would want to wear even if they
didn't know what Fedora was - then they will start a conversation with
the T-shirt wearer - 'where did you get that shirt?' which opens up the
opportunity to sell Fedora :)

I obviously like Hello Kitty t-shirts like the ones on sanrio.com but I
don't think that helps :) These are some top-rated ones on threadless
that might be inspirational!

- http://www.threadless.com/product/1790/Electric_Sky
- http://www.threadless.com/product/1660/Solitary_Dream_Pt2
- http://www.threadless.com/product/1719/The_Red
- http://www.threadless.com/product/1811/Let_Go <= this one is 4
color...
- http://www.threadless.com/product/2000/Sky_Thief
- http://www.threadless.com/product/2111/The_Last_Day_of_Pegasus <= 1
color
-
http://www.threadless.com/product/2017/If_Your_Pants_Are_On_Fire_Being_A_Liar_Becomes_Less_Important <= 1 color, clever slogan :)
- http://www.threadless.com/product/1891/Dandy_Lions <= 2 color
- http://www.threadless.com/product/2110/The_Midnight_Forest <= 4 color
- http://www.threadless.com/product/2253/Which_Side_Is_Better <= 1
color, interesting design :)
- http://www.threadless.com/product/178/Pandamonium <= pandas are only 2
colors!
- http://www.threadless.com/product/258/Pillow_Fight <= the feathers
falling are a neat trick :)
- http://www.threadless.com/product/63/Damn_Scientists
- http://www.threadless.com/product/576/Funkalicious
- http://www.threadless.com/product/281/Loch_Ness_Imposter <= turning
the shirt into water is a cool visual effect
 - http://www.threadless.com/product/114/Flowers_in_the_Attic

Every distro and conference has a t-shirt with a logo slapped on it.
Let's use this as an opportunity to shine :)