[Design-team] Upcoming Fedora 13 Tasks

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 13:40:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 02:06:09PM +0200, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:
> 2010/3/31 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> > On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 14:02 +0200, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:
> > I think the left corner is bad though, because that's where the icons
> > start lining up. The swirl is the brightest part, so it'll interfere
> > with the icons..... :( Or do you think I'm worrying over something
> > silly?
>
> No. I think you are right (LOL). Left felt wrong to me anyway, I just
> didn't know why...

Yes, I think the right side is still the proper placement because of
desktop icon positioning.

Some thoughts I had, although I'm not sure to what extent these agree
with the critiques already received:

* I'd definitely like to see quite a bit of blur on the swirls.  Right
  now the swirls really attract my eyes away from where I want to put
  them on the desktop, especially when I'm locating icons.  The
  transition from the pattern-based background to the swirl seems very
  abrupt and less like natural lighting or smoke.

* The tail ends of the swirls near the top and bottom right similarly
  seem to abruptly stop.  I think that the intent is that these are
  "covered up" by other swirls, but the contrast between them may
  change the way the design's perceived -- at least it does for me.