[Design-team] F14 Laughlin -- We're open for design concepts submissions

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed May 12 13:48:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:04:58PM +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> so the codename for F14 has been decided -- Laughlin, so it's the right
> time to let the F14 Artwork's ball rolling. I hereby announce that
> suggestions, design concepts and WIP wallpapers implementing this name
> are welcomed both here and on the following wiki page:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F14_Artwork_Theme_Concepts
>
> Discussion is preferred here, but each submission (supposing there's
> also a preview/WIP included) needs to be both uploaded to wiki and
> announced on this mailing list. Please use only openly licensed works
> when uploading to wiki, sources are preferred in SVG for vector based
> images and XCF for raster based ones.
>
> As for the deadline, AFAIK we have not yet the dates set, so it will be
> announced later, but it will probably be some time before Alpha
> (probably something between 1 and 3 weeks before Alpha freeze to give us
> enough time to decide on a final concept, to put it in enough shape for
> alpha and to package it).

The suggestion for the name included this thematic material:

    Robert Goddard was a professor of physics, and so is Robert
    Laughlin.  He was awarded the 1998 Nobel Prize in physics for his
    explanation of the fractional quantum Hall effect. Moreover he
    argues for emergence which is a concept that says "The whole is
    more than the sum of its parts". Fedora is more than the sum of
    its software.  . . .

    [Theme suggestion:] Something that can illustrate the emergence
    concept, like multiple objects combined to create a new one (more
    complex).

Perhaps this could spark some interesting ideas!