[Design-team] Recommend change F13launch image to JPEG to reduce download time and add text link to F13 Tour

Sijis Aviles sijis at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 17 04:08:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 5:51 AM, Al Thomas <astavale at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The current main image on http://stg.fedoraproject.org/ is a 200K PNG.
>
> This can easily be reduced in size 10 times to a 20K JPEG with negligible reduction in image quality, i.e. 'Explore Fedora's possibilities' is still readable. Just need to make sure the transparent corners are changed to white to match the background.
>
> Also the F13 release banner could do with the same treatment.
>
> I can see both images being visibly drawn line by line as I download the page and I'm on a fast broadband connection. To the casual browser on a slower connection the page could be unbearably slow.

Great catch! I'll pass that along to design so we become more aware of
things like this.
I haven't noticed it since I typically look at the site locally on my system.

> Usually the Fedora release tour is really informative but to have no textual link to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_tour means this is hidden for many people who quickly scan the page. I only found it after attempting to redesign the F12 release front page! Just a change to

> instead of

> would at least make people aware there is more information available.

I did notice that the Tour page was blank. I thought it was still in
progress. I found that the Tour page was replaced by
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F13_one_page_release_notes. I reached
out to someone in Marketing and i got the details. In short, The Tour
was deprecated in favor of the previous link, since F12.

> All the best for the release,
>
> Al

We really appreciate your suggestions, ideas and patches. I know you
sent a handful of patches a couple of weeks ago for the home page. I
apologize but i have not reviewed them, however, I have them flagged
and will get them to them after the release.

Thanks again,

Sijis