[Design-team] Self Introduction / Fedora startpage

Jef van Schendel jefvanschendel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 21:19:43 UTC 2010

2010/11/24 Vinzenz Vietzke <vinz at fedoraproject.org>

> I think using the same footer on "regular" websites like www.fpo or
> get.fpo is absolutely necessary. But on such a special site like
> start.fpo I think it would be better not to "rush" the user with
> content. Especially new users would just get struck by all this
> information and would overlook the search bar as core functionality.

Maybe we should talk about two different sites:
> * welcome.fedoraproject.org
> Think of it looking like my v3 with a "compressed" standard footer. [1]
> This site should only contain the searching functionality since it's
> intended as browser home page.

Agreed on the rushing, that's definitely an issue. However I'm not sure a
compressed footer is the best thing to do, since that means we've got two
different ones and it'll be even harder to get them consistent across all
websites. Also, most of the links in your mockup footer are also in the
header on www.fpo. If we only want to have those, we could also use the
existing menu bar somewhere, as in [1].

I tried to get the search functionality front and center, without removing
the footer in [2]. We can easily make the footer stick to the bottom of the
screen, so it gets out of the way but is still there if you need it. By
putting the search bar right in the middle of the screen, it's still the
most prominent object on the page.

Another option is to hide the footer a bit. I tried making that div's
position absolute and putting the top at 90%. Doing this, only the very top
part is visible on your screen and the rest when you scroll down. I'm not
sure that's a good option though, it looks quite strange, as if something
went wrong.

> The only additional function I'd add would be a link named "switch to
> daily start page" or so, which updates the browser home page to a
> start.fedoraproject.org variant as stated below.
>
> * start.fedoraproject.org
> On this site I'd place things like RSS feeds, tweets, rotating photo
> galleries etc. Something like a portal but only with aggregated content
> so no daily maintenance would be needed.
> Perhaps pushing planet.fpo unfiltered to this site should be rethought
> since there are sometimes quite useless postings like "i have voted" or
> so. Maybe someone should pick the 20-30 most "valuable" ones and tell
> the blog owners about the fact that their posts will appear on
> start.fpo. In this way a little quality assurance would be given.

 Actually there's already a page that has most of that, the Community page
on www.fpo. We designed that just as you describe, as a kind of hub for
community information.

Thus, I think it's best to keep all of that on the Community page, and
remove the feeds from start.fpo again. It really adds too much noise IMO.

Anyway, I'll give it some more thought next week.

As for the Google topic, those are all valid points but it's probably
something to discuss on a different list. For now, I think the content is
good enough: everybody is familiar with Google, and the CC filters add a
nice touch that for instance Firefox's search bar doesn't provide. I just
want to give start.fpo a quick facelift. :)

Jef

[1] http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/temp/menubar.png
[2] http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/temp/start1.png