[Design-team] logo guidelines work

Ian Weller ian at ianweller.org
Sat Oct 30 03:27:16 UTC 2010

Hi Emily (and others interested),

Here's the work needed for the brand guidelines and such. The current
draft page is here:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ianweller/Brand_guidelines_(draft)

- Better, more concise "section 0" (the introductory text before the
  first section header)
  - Along with this: fedora-logos.tar.gz (as far as I know) will contain
    fedora/ and remix/; there will also be foundations-logos.tar.gz and
    fudcon-logos.tar.gz that we'll redistribute on my fedorapeople.org
    space.
- Re-uploaded images with the "TM" in Comfortaa (SVGs are already done)
- "Fedora Application" and "Fedora Groups" are now one template
- Explanatory text for Remix, Foundations, FUDCon
- Notes on the page that all marks are trademarks of Fedora and the
  trademark guidelines must be followed
- Fix information in fonts section (it's horribly wrong, should have
  previews, etc)
- Complete "Using the SVG files" section
- Information on clear space for each logo -- this is the boundary of
  the SVG, but we need to have that in picture form on the wiki

If you're interested in working on this and don't have the latest logo
SVG set, email logo at fedoraproject.org (this is run by me but I need you
to email me first, just so I can make sure I'm keeping track of
absolutely everything).

Then there's the trademark guidelines page:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines
This page can't be edited by anybody except spot. Some guidelines need
to be drafted up for the Foundations and FUDCon logos and brought to
spot and the Board so that they can get in the guidelines proper.

This should not be confused with the "brand book", which is something
that Robyn, Máirín and I have been touting every now and then. The
difference between the brand guidelines and the brand book is that the
guidelines are hard rules about how to use the logos; the brand book is
more to tell Fedora's story and explain the elements of our brand (how
did we create our logo, how did the foundations come about, what the
heck is a FUDCon, etc).

Hope this helps explain the assistance I'm needing -- writing this on a
plane now and we're about to land so I have to cut it short here. Any
questions, just ask on-list. As always I'm here to help from Red Hat's
point of view; I'll still take care of logo at fedoraproject.org and I'll
make sure that all the changes we make get OK'd by Legal as necessary.
Thanks!

--
Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>