[Design-team] Supplemental Wallpapers

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Sep 1 11:07:55 UTC 2010

On 09/01/2010 01:56 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 13:43 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> <snip>
>> We will also need the help of a packager to push them in the distro,
>> Martin or someone else, can you lend a hand?
>>
> Let me know when the license check is done.

The idea which came on IRC yesterday was we can make the package soon,
using the 5 images we know are OK so the package is in early, before the
freeze, and then update it later with the rest of the images.

One thing to take care of is our promise to the authors and license
compliance, we offered "mention in the commit message for the package,
mention in the package metadata".

Also, we have to investigate having an XML file to provide another part
of the offer "attribution and licensing information will be included in
the wallpaper chooser widget"

> Is it desirable to put it all in one package
> (laughlin-backgrounds-extras) or do we want one package per wallpaper?
> I'd incline to the former as it's saner to manage.

One single package, otherwise we go to insanity.

> Also, do we want to have it on some spins (other then design suite where
> it definitely is desirable) / default installation? If so, someone would
> need to persuade the people in charge (you know, the spins are always
> having issues with size and this would make matters only worse)...

Hmmm... good call, how we market the feature? A first step is to
announce it on blogs/Planet to raise awareness (I believe Emily is
supposed to do this, as she assembled the wiki page).
For spins, I could see the package on Desktop but, for example, not
necessarily on Security... I guess is the spin maintainer's call