[Design-team] Owners and (Co) Maintainers Email Meeting #4 [PUBLIC VERSION]--September 10, 2010

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sat Sep 11 19:50:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> On 09/10/2010 03:40 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
>>
>> Gnome-Shell:
>>
>> There's no doubt whether we like it or not, the Gnome-Shell will be
>> implemented as the replacement and default desktop environment for
>> Fedora including its Spin Desktops, somewhere along the line.
>>
>> Personally, I'm no fan of the Gnome-Shell (Gnome 3), hence my own
>> complete migration to the KDE4 desktop environment in the previous
>> weeks.
>>
>> I am curious as to how Gnome-Shell is going to affect the Spins? ie.
>> Design Suite Spin.
>>
>> Will it affect performance and productivity?
>> And how much control do we have in blocking it for a desktop spin?
>> And should we be blocking it?
>
> Gnome-Shell is part of GNOME 3 which was postponed (at least) until the
> next spring, so I expect our Design Suite to default to the classic
> panel in F14.

That's what I heard, too. We should be good here.

>> Inkscape desktop icon:
>>
>> I am not happy with the current process of having a Inkscape icon and
>> link on the desktop upon a fresh install of the Design Suite Spin.
>>
>> To me, it simply does not make sense and poses more questions that what
>> it answers.
>>
>> It's easy enough to remove using the kickstart config. But before I go
>> and do that, I require the opinions of others.
>
> -1 to having application icons on the desktop, they are in the menu and
> if the users want them on the desktop, it is trivial.

I added this icon in the first place to enable people to access
further resources. I feel that Mo's introduction of Inkscape to
students is a resource we should link to (for those who don't know:
http://opensource.com/education/10/4/introducing-open-source-middle-school).
I'd like to see us expanding that - whether these links should be on
the desktop or in the browser or some other place is certainly
debatable, though. :)

--Sebastian