[Design-team] Beta wallpaper revision

Marc Stewart marc.c.stewart at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 17 08:31:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 08:27 +0200, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:
> Wow.... Really great work going on here. I really love Mo's new
> version and I think it's nearly perfect but I still think we need
> something in the middle of all those emanating rays and sparks. A hole
> there looks out of place, IMO.
I like the void. I think it fits better with the emergence concept, too.
Emergent properties appear in unexpected ways due to the complex
interactions of a system, and therefore don't appear to have an obvious
source. Consequently, I think a hole provides a better visual metaphor.

But then I don't see it purely as emanating rays; I see solid structures
in there, like looking down on a city full of skyscrapers and
searchlights, or into a kaleidoscope. So, for me, the hole is just
equivalent to the road, or the end of the tube; I don't expect anything
to necessarily be there.

Of course, if someone made a wallpaper that had something in that space,
and it was an improvement, I'd support it—great images trump good
metaphors! But I think adding something just for the sake of filling
that space would actually be a detraction.

Marc