[Design-team] Gnome-shell extension that adds a Fedora logo

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Apr 15 14:18:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 16:10 +0200, Kristóf Timur wrote:
> Every desktop environment that Fedora provides has Fedora branding.
> Could you please elaborate why the shell should be an exception?

The shell is not a desktop environment. GNOME 3 is. And we already
compromised by allowing that to be branded via the background.

There is no rule, either written down or implicit, that everything that
puts a panel-like bar on the top of your monitor has to have a Fedora
logo in the left corner.

As I said, this kind of branding was somewhat expected with gnome 2,
which was shipped with the expectation that distributions would pick a
suitable theme (or let users pick their own), background, icons, etc,
and would decide the number of panels, and on a suitable default
arrangement of items on them (or again, let the users pick).

GNOME 3 is very explicitly going away from that 'tool box' approach. We
want to provide a recognizable experience, that is nice and polished by
default, and does not need 'improvement' or 'branding' by each
distribution. You can see that in many things: we removed the theme
capplet, the shell does not support themes, etc etc.

So yes, GNOME 3 is very different from GNOME 2 in that respect.