[Design-team] Image Annotation App - more ideas

Emily Dirsh emily at fightingcrane.com
Thu Jan 6 15:05:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 09:45 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> So Emichan and Jef have been working on this image annotation app that
> Kirk and I have been using to work on the RPG mockup:
>
> http://jefvanschendel.nl/ImageAnnotation/index.php?i=Fedora_RPG_Startpage_Mockup_1
>
> (source & git repo here: http://gitorious.org/remote-image-annotation)
>
> Out of the process of using it Kirk pointed out some ideas for moving
> the app forward and I had a few ideas too, so I thought it might be
> worth breaking out another new thread on the annotation app.
>
> Here's the ideas so far:
>
> 1) Can we put an "Add Note" button at the top of the page too?  (If you
> have a large image like a mockup you have to scroll down then back up to
> add a note and it's a bit awkward.)

> 2) Could we also increase the default size of the box for the
> annotation? Or maybe introduce resizeable edges like the gimp's, with a
> larger drag target? (It's a little tough to resize and it currently is
> almost always too small to leave alone.)

> 3) It would be really nice if there was a way to etherpad-style enter in
> your name and have your comments color-coded and labeled as your
> comments. Right now Kirk and I have been leaving our name in parentheses
> after our comments.
>
> 4) Similarly it would be nice if comment blocks had timestamps.
>
> 5) It would be fantastic if there was a button you could hit, 'export
> comments' and it would give you a page that is a flat list of all
> comments, maybe numbered where each annotation box is a number. You
> could then use that as a checklist for working on a mockup.
>
> 6) Maybe adding the ability to title each note would make sense to help
> with idea #5, then it could print out a title for each set of comments.
>
> ~m

Great notes, Kirk and Mo. The app uses the jQuery Image Annotation
plugin [1] (cuz I <3 jQuery) to manage the notes. It will probably
require hacking/forking the plugin to get, let's see, all but I think 5.
That doesn't mean we can't do it, though, cuz we can! I just used the
plugin as is to get something together as quickly as possible. It's
awesome that we're using it already! :) Jef and I'll both look into
getting some of these features done. Another feature to add to the list
is a gallery (I think Mo mentioned that one during the meeting this
week).

tschüs! Em

[1] -
http://blog.flipbit.co.uk/2009/03/jquery-image-annotation-plugin.html