[Design-team] 11 January 2011 Meeting Minutes (for real this time!)

Ian Weller ian at ianweller.org
Wed Jan 12 00:28:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 04:33:59PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> • mizmo to check in with ianweller on deviantart supplemental wallpaper
> advertising status... groups listed in action items list at the bottom
> of this message.

I forgot about this in the midst of the FUDCon stressola. I'll take care
of this action item this week.

> Topic: FUDcon Tempe Print Guide
> ===============================
> • Ian Weller wasn't in the meeting but mizmo will start a thread to
> discuss the design
>https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Tempe_2011_packet
>http://ianweller.fedorapeople.org/fudcon-tempe-booklet/
> • One idea so far is to incorporate Emily's t-shirt motif in the booklet
> design: http://emichan.fedorapeople.org/FudconTempe/hohokam_lg_logo.svg

I actually had to get this to the printer yesterday. The final PDF files
are still in the fedorapeople.org directory above. I did most of this
stuff in #fudcon-planning instead of #fedora-design just because that's
where most of the people I had to force content out of were.

There's a blank space on page 3 under the table of contents, which is
there for a reason. Because we're printing these booklets so early so
that I could have them done in Salina in time before I went back to KU,
we have a lot of last minute information or possible last minute
changes, which we will try and print on a label about that size and
stick there. (Robyn has the correct size Avery labels in her general
FUDCon Amazon shopping cart.)

By the time I got all the content finally in there wasn't much room for
incorporating a lot of the design stuff from Emily's SVG, which I'm
sorry for :( I should've played a little with the cover but I just ran
out of time. Print production a deadline is harsh.

Once again, I apologize for not having had enough collaboration with the
Design Team on this project, and waiting to come in until the last
minute saying "here I did stuff!"... something I need to improve on
personally. :)

What *is* reusable there is a general layout for future FUDCons in
different regions, as well as the Makefile which handles all of the RGB
to CMYK conversion for you (with a giant block of sed expressions). I'd
like to fully document the process, but it wouldn't be hard to create
even a Bash script (more likely Python) to take an RGB EPS from
GhostScript (Inkscape -> eps2eps; Cairo EPS output is sometimes
unpredictable) and output a CMYK EPS or PDF. (The print shop ran me a
proof as I gave them the CD with the files, and the colors came out
beautifully, BTW!)

--
Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>