[Design-team] 18 January 2011 Meeting Minutes
duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 19 16:09:29 UTC 2011
Thanks for another great meeting yesterday! Here's the minutes:
I also posted them to our wiki page here:
Topic: Fedora 15 Wallpaper Proposal Selection
• Fedora 15 Proposals:
• We unanimously decided to go with Emily's Nightingale Proposal
• Emily's statement on the concept: "Inspired by the Emperor and the
Nightingale. Juxtaposes the systems created by man, and those created by
nature, thus a nod to the Gaia hypothesis."
• It's got a bit of steampunk in the mechanical bird, and it's got a
strong link to nature and Gaia. Birds are also a symbol of love
(lovelock). It's a layered concept!
Topic: GNOME 3 Wallpaper Integration
• We had several ideas on integrating the concept with GNOME 3
• Proposal #1: Design a full suite of nightingale-themed artwork, and
also a version of stripes with nightingale accents to tie it in
• Proposal #2: have a day-night transition wallpaper that transitions
between nightingale wallpaper and stripes
• Proposal #3: have a splash of nightingale in stripes, have a splash of
stripes in nightingale. For example, emboss nightingale onto the
• Proposal #4: keep stripes as-is, have a splash of stripes in
• It seems we'll play this by ear and see how the mockups develop.
Topic: Nightingale Theme Development
• We scheduled a Fedora 15 Nightingale Alpha Wallpaper design-hackfest
at FUDcon to prep for Feb 1 due date on the FUDcon Tempe wiki page.
• Alpha wallpaper is due by February 1. Martin will package it up by
• IDEA: Have 3-4 variations on the nightingale wallpaper that users can
pick between. Potentially transition between this wallpaper set for
every 15 min.
• Background on the concept: The emperor and the nightingale is a
fairytale by H.C. Anderson.
• It's about an emperor who loves the song of a nightingale, then a
mechanical nightingale is brought in and the real nightingale flies
away. Eventually the emperor gets sick and the real nightingale comes
back and comforts him and scares off Death, saving the emperor's life.
• Full story: http://hca.gilead.org.il/nighting.html
• Summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightingale
• Rendering ideas:
- IDEA #1: if we took that kind of paper-cut-out approach like Little
Big Planet's artwork has we could use various kinds of stripes as some
of the textures
- IDEA #2: maybe have the wallpaper drawn onto a stripe-textured
'paper'? like this
• challenge #1 avoiding too high frequency / too high contrast
imagery... the wallpaper version needs to work well as a non-distracting
• challenge #2 an artwork style that can also be used as a graceful
accent on other pieces so we can try some of the gnome 3 integration
wallpaper ideas we talked about
• Inspiration: some inspiration links for textures, colors, motifs,
styles we might think about applying for the alpha wallpaper:
• Approach: we would like more positive approach to technology vs.
nature, like the mechanical and real nightingales almost kissing each
other in the sketch. Something more uplifting than dark.
• The Design Team blog isn't broadcasting to Fedora planet for some odd
reason so Jef's T-shirt post isn't appearing. Mizmo opened up a ticket
with Fedora infrastructure to get it working:
More information about the design-team