[Design-team] Anaconda, the comic book

Jef van Schendel jefvanschendel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 14:45:01 UTC 2011

2011/1/19 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 19:40 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> I found some neat comic templates from http://designcomics.org/ that are
>> public domain so I started putting together a comic strip of a user
>> installing Fedora - using Anaconda along the way - just to get a
>> high-level idea of the sequencing of screens and what might make sense
>> for a user at each stage.
>
> I finished the first one, although I may modify it a bit to not use live
> media & live install the way we do today.
>
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/app%
> 20design/anaconda/comic/anaconda-comic_1.png
>
> Source:
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/app%
> 20design/anaconda/comic/anaconda-comic_1-final.svg
>
> I want to do an enterprise storage user one too that goes through the
> storage filter ui.

I think it's a great idea, but I have to ask... What's with the hotdog? :)

As much as I love the line "Fedora tastes great with ketchup!" I have
to wonder how serious you are with this? ;)

Anyway, should we comment on the comics themselves or on the design of
the installer? If the latter, here are two things I noticed after
skimming it:

- Why does she have to click her mouse to log in on the Live version?
- "Please wait while we examine your disk drive(s)" is pretty long,
what's wrong with "Examing disk drives..." ?

As for the comic idea:

- Woah, Design Comics is excellent!
- What do you want to use this for? Is it "just for" a blog post or do
you really want to use it as a usability review?
- If it's to be used as a review, i'm not sure if the Windows bashing
is a really necessary. I'm guessing, though, that you wanted Andrea to
have an incentive to try out Fedora?

Jef