[Design-team] Newly-expanded Fedora logo usage guidelines

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Wed Jul 20 01:41:02 UTC 2011

2011/7/19 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
>. As outlined in the guidelines, you are supposed to request permission for
> your particular usage of the logo in writing to logo at fedoraproject.org.

Hi Mo,

The above seems to conflict with my understanding of the trademark
guidelines from:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines

Specifically, there are a number of situations which do not require
permission to use Fedora®, the Fedora word design, the Infinity design
logo, Fedora Remix, and the Fedora Remix word design, either
separately or in combination.

Am I misunderstanding the intent of what's meant by request permission
for a particular usage of the logo?
I fear that if permission from logo at fp.o is required above and beyond
the levels established at the trademark guidelines, I've frequently
run afoul of that requirement. For instance, the logo that appears at:
http://www.southeastlinuxfest.org/sponsor/fedora  likely originated
from me (although derived from the svgs) in years past, and fwiu,
falls within the Trademark Guidelines no-permission-necessary section,
but I don't recall asking permission for it.

To more succinctly state my question: If I comply with the Trademark
guidelines (either through one of the no-permission-needed exceptions,
or with an explicit agreement) and I use the trademark(s) in
accordance with the usage guidelines wrt colors, spacing, etc., what
additional permission is needed?

Thanks,

--David