[Design-team] Space for wallpapers in Fedora 16

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jun 8 10:00:55 UTC 2011

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> The Fedora design team had a meeting today for Fedora 16 planning and
> we'd like to try for a four-wallpaper pack for Fedora 16. (We can
> provide a slideshow XML file for GNOME, if KDE / XFCE / LXDE support
> something like slideshows let us know and we can try to provide it).
>
> We wanted to provide a heads up so that you could account for the space
> early on in the cycle if you wanted all of the wallpapers for your spin;
> in the past when we've done a slideshow set it has caused last-minute
> space issues: we'd very much like to avoid that.

I'm sorry for raining on your parade again, but I really don't think this is
a good idea. I'd prefer very much to use the available limited space for
software than for wallpapers!

The KDE spin was at 692 MiB for Fedora 15 and our plan is to add Kamoso
(webcam application, newly released and reviewed) and at least one backup
solution for Fedora 16. It all has to fit into 700 MiB. That means, we're
basically already out of space. We may have to scale back our plans due to
the usual package size growth we've been seeing at each release anyway, it'd
be sad if wallpapers were the issue.

I realize and understand that a good-looking default wallpaper is a very
important part of the user experience. I just don't think we need 4 of them
installed by default. Users can easily replace their wallpaper anyway. I
think it'd be a much better idea to have one beautiful default wallpaper and
focus on polishing that, also because schedules are tight (as you have
noticed in previous release cycles).

        Kevin Kofler