[Design-team] Space for wallpapers in Fedora 16

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 8 21:53:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 11:51 +0000, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> yep, we have a support for slideshow in Plasma. But it depends if it's just
> slideshow or time based wp change as we saw before in Gnome. I was thinking
> about implemnting it to Plasma but after aseigo's review of the old one Gnome
> XML file I decided better not do it. Even aseigo is still waiting for
> implementation :)

We were thinking it would just be a simple slideshow. No time-based
transition effects.

> Just one thing - as Kevin pointed out - the extended slideshow wps should be in
> separate subpackage and the default package should be the single one due to live
> image space constraints. Especially for Plasma spin.

Okay, shipping four wallpapers by default was not a problem in earlier
Fedoras when we've done this before (at least on the desktop spin.) We
did ship the four wallpapers, which were the same wallpaper with
different colorations. Fedora 8 and Fedora 9 are some examples of this.
We didn't know it would be a problem if we gave advance notice; it seems
even with advance notice it's a problem, so I guess we have no choice -
one wallpaper it is then.

> Another important thing is - we need some simple designs. I really like Fedora
> designs as these aren't usually the boring abstract something like in other
> distros but today with Gnome Shell, the Plasma Netbook brother (I'm surprised
> how similar these two are, very nice for touchable netbooks) - the desktop now
> serves for activities (both Shell and Plasma ones). The Plasma Active is going
> to be even more using the desktop... So this is something you, as Design team
> should consider. But still I hope we can have amazing designs, not just colorful
> spits :)

This is a good point, but this is probably not the appropriate thread to
bring that up. Please start a new thread on the design-team list for
this or you can of course provide artists feedback directly on the
artboard - thanks!  :)