[Design-team] Space for wallpapers in Fedora 16

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Jun 9 07:57:15 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, June 08, 2011 11:53:25 PM Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 11:51 +0000, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > yep, we have a support for slideshow in Plasma. But it depends if it's
> > just slideshow or time based wp change as we saw before in Gnome. I was
> > thinking about implemnting it to Plasma but after aseigo's review of the
> > old one Gnome XML file I decided better not do it. Even aseigo is still
> > waiting for implementation :)
>
> We were thinking it would just be a simple slideshow. No time-based
> transition effects.

Ok. This is not a problem to set it up.

> > Just one thing - as Kevin pointed out - the extended slideshow wps should
> > be in separate subpackage and the default package should be the single
> > one due to live image space constraints. Especially for Plasma spin.
>
> Okay, shipping four wallpapers by default was not a problem in earlier
> Fedoras when we've done this before (at least on the desktop spin.) We
> did ship the four wallpapers, which were the same wallpaper with
> different colorations. Fedora 8 and Fedora 9 are some examples of this.
> We didn't know it would be a problem if we gave advance notice; it seems
> even with advance notice it's a problem, so I guess we have no choice -
> one wallpaper it is then.

I'm not saying it's a problem. Just the solution should be - to have one
"master" wallpaper packaged in a standalone subpackage (and probably used for
GDM/KDM/KSplash) and package the rest slideshow in the another subpackage. Spins
that have a spare space can ship base one wp package + slides package (even 2G
Plasma spin!!!). Regular Plasma spin can ship just the base one. And we will see
- maybe we will have some space available and we could ship all - can't say for
sure now. But I still prefer a little bit more ship software users are asking us
to include in live image.

> > Another important thing is - we need some simple designs. I really like
> > Fedora designs as these aren't usually the boring abstract something
> > like in other distros but today with Gnome Shell, the Plasma Netbook
> > brother (I'm surprised how similar these two are, very nice for
> > touchable netbooks) - the desktop now serves for activities (both Shell
> > and Plasma ones). The Plasma Active is going to be even more using the
> > desktop... So this is something you, as Design team should consider. But
> > still I hope we can have amazing designs, not just colorful spits :)
>
> This is a good point, but this is probably not the appropriate thread to
> bring that up. Please start a new thread on the design-team list for
> this or you can of course provide artists feedback directly on the
> artboard - thanks!  :)

Yeah, I know it wasn't the best place to mix it but it's still somehow related
to the topics. The base wp could be the simple one for example, slideshow could
be more artistic like - so probably not the default one even for smaller spins?
Just and idea.

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>