[Design-team] What to do with start.fp.o?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 20:30:52 UTC 2011

2011/6/17 Sijis Aviles <sijis at fedoraproject.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to start a discussion on what is the goal/purpose for
> start.fedoraproject.org. There has been some push on redesigning and
> freshening up its 'look and feel' which some of that work has been
> completed. However, the problem is we need to answer what is the purpose of
> start.fp.o?. Without answering this question, we can't redesign it without
> having a target audience in mind.
>
> I think that this site can be a very visible, since that's one of the two
> sites that load upon launching FF for the first time. Currently I feel that
> it lacks a purpose and its sorta out there with no target in mind. My
> current view is to do something like a '1 page release notes' or 'New things
> in Fedora X' type thing, something very simple and only 1 page. The other
> idea is to just drop the site completely and/or use fp.o.

Personally I think a page of tutorials like  "HOW TO USE THE FEDORA
DESKTOP" would be a good thing. Heck make it part of the release
process. If you want something to be included as a feature for release
N+1 it needs to have material to be added to start.

Even if the content is linking to tutorials and such on KDE, GNOME,
systemd etc sites.

Or to make a tl;dr

I think start should be for making it easier for users to "start" using the OS.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren