[Design-team] F15 wallpaper 0-day update

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed May 18 09:27:04 UTC 2011

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Attached is what I came up with so far... the source is a big xcf.gz,
> I'll hopefully be able to upload it in the AM.

I'm sorry, but this is very different from the current final wallpaper and
as such not suitable for an update at all. (In fact, there shouldn't be any
design changes at all to the wallpaper in an update.) Don't take me wrong,
this is not a criticism of the design itself (though I must admit I
personally like the F15 GA wallpaper better), but of the proposed delivery
method.

As Jaroslav pointed out, changing the KDE Plasma wallpaper under us will
break the KDM and KSplash themes (and/or the transition from KDM/KSplash to
the actual Plasma desktop).

In addition, the wallpaper is a distinctive element of the look&feel of the
distribution. Many screenshots will be taken (or have already been taken,
even) of Fedora 15 with the GA wallpaper. Having an update change the
default wallpaper is a very bad idea.

Your redesigned wallpaper can be shipped as an alternate (optional) theme,
but it's really too late to change the default! Sorry!

        Kevin Kofler
        (KDE SIG member)